Methods of the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ingnatius
I. Takes place away from home for thirty days in quiet retreat. This was the original method of the Saint Ignatius Spiritual Exercises.
II. A shorter weekend retreat or eight days contemplating the basic themes of Saint Ignatius.
III. Several months of contemplation and practice of the Saint Ignatius Spiritual Exercises while going about daily life.
Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius in Four Weeks
The spiritual exercises are divided into four weeks which include the following reflections:
- God’s mercy and the sins of man
- The ministry of Jesus, His Gospel preaching, parables, miracles
- The final days in the life of Jesus – arrest, scourging, passion, death and crucifixion
- The Resurrection and Acension, Pentecost, and the Holy Spirit today
- The role of Jesus in freeing the Messianic people and allowing the spirit of Jesus to lead believers into spiritual action and realize the freedom Jesus gave.
The Jesuits offer 370 spiritual exercises for following the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola.