- A white gown with a red sash – purity and faith
- A crown of lingenberry
- Lighted candles on her head – eternal life with Jesus
- Followed by handmaids and boys called star lads who carry lighted candles
- They go from house to house, singing songs in honor of Saint Lucia.
- They offer coffee, glogg, saffron buns, and gingerbread cookies – love and serve the poor
The feast of Saint Lucia is celebrated in honor of her martyrdom which took place on December 13. The name of Saint Lucia means “light”, so many of the Christmas light customs came from Saint Lucia day.
Saint Lucia Remembered
Saint Lucia is one of the most popular virgin martyrs. In fact, many modern day singers have recorded songs about Saint Lucia:
Santa Lucia, thy light is glowing
Through darkest winter night, Comfort bestowing.
Dreams float on dreams tonight
Comes then the morning light,
Santa Lucia, Santa Lucia.