Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati
The Short Life of Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati
|Blessed Pier Georgio Frassati, born in 1901 and died in 1925. Living for a short 24 years, Pier Giorgio Frassati sacrificed himself for the poor, contracting poliomyelitis while attending to the poor in Turin. He was canonized a saint by Pope John Paul II on May 20, 1990.
Pope John Paul II referred to Pier Giorgio Frassati as, “Man of the Beatitudes” because Frassati lived his life without regard for himself but for the welfare of those less fortunate.
The Eight Blessed Beatitudes:
- Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are the meek for they shall possess the land.
- Blessed are they who mourn for they shall be comforted.
- Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice for they shall have their fill.
- Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy.
- Blessed are the clean of heart for they shall see God.
- Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God.
- Bless are they that suffer persecution for justice’s sake for there is the kingdom of heaven.
These eight beatitudes, also known as blessings were recited by Jesus on his famous Sermon on the Mount. St. Pier Giorgio Frassati lived the beatitudes of Jesus to the fullest.
Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati Quotes:
- "You ask me whether I am in good spirits. How could I not be, so long as my trust in God gives me strength? We must always be cheerful. Sadness should be banished from all Christian souls. For suffering is a far different thing from sadness, which is the worst disease of all. It is almost always caused by lack of Faith."
- "We have the duty of putting our health at the service of those who do not posses it. To act otherwise would be to betray the gift of God."
- “The faith given to me in baptism suggests to me surely: by yourself you will do nothing, but if you have God as the center of all your action, then you will reach the goal.” St. Pier Giorgio Frassati is known as the patron saint of youth. Many young people identify with him and try to follow his example of living a life in Christ.
Pier Giorgio Frassati