O/L of SORROWS
The Sorrows of Mary
Devoted Catholics wear the Our Lady of Seven Sorrows medal to honor her earthly sacrifice and pain. They pray the 7 Sorrows of Our Lady novena and hold the Our Lady of Seven Sorrows medallion in their hands.
|Mary, the Mother of Jesus is known by many names but the title that makes Catholics revere the Blessed Virgin the most is Our Lady of Sorrows. This name signifies the suffering Mary had to endure as the mother of Jesus. All people can relate to a mother’s pain when their children suffer and Mary’s sorrows throughout the life of Jesus make her more human to Catholics.
The Sorrowful Titles of the Blessed Mother
V Our Lady of Sorrows
V Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows
V Sorrowful Mother
V Mother of Sorrows
V Our Lady of the Seven Dolours
The Seven Sorrows of Mary
1. Simeon’s Prophecy about Baby Jesus – Luke 2:34 Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother, "This infant is destined to cause many in Israel to fall and rise. Also, he will be a sign that will be opposed.”
2. The Holy Family’s Flight to Egypt – Matthew 2:13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. "Get up," he said, "take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him."
3. Jesus Is Lost for Three Days – Luke 2:43 After the Feast was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it.
4. Mary Meets Jesus along the Way of the Cross – John 16:22 So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy.
5. Jesus Is Crucified and Mary Stands at the Foot of the Cross – John 19:25 Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.
6. Jesus Is Removed from the Cross – Matthew 27:57-59 When it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who himself had also become a disciple of Jesus. Going to Pilate, he asked for Jesus' body, and Pilate ordered that it be given to him. And Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,
7. Jesus Is Buried – John 19:40 Taking Jesus' body, the two of them wrapped it, with the spices, in strips of linen. This was in accordance with Jewish burial customs.
Our Lady of Seven Sorrows